Monday

Lydia

As days go, I've had better

I got a call from a good friend of mine. The news was not great. The news was awful. A mutual friend of ours, Lydia, committed suicide early, early yesterday morning. Alisa (the friend that called), Lydia and I went to grade school together in Philadelphia and then all to the same high school. I cut out and headed to California a few months later.

Lydia and I have not been the best at keeping in touch. She came to California a few years back and stayed with me for a week. That was great. Then last year, we got back in touch again. She sounded amazing. Her life was exactly what she wanted. She had fallen in love, gotten married, and was about to have a baby boy. I was so happy for her. Lydia was someone you liked and someone you wanted everything for. Almost as much as you wanted it for yourself.

Then a few months ago, her life went 180 on her. She was splitting from the dream guy, he had taken custody of their son and she had not been able to see the baby in over four weeks. And then sometime this weekend, she had enough.

A couple weeks ago, I had this dream. In this dream a friend of mine (not Lydia, a different friend) came to me, sat by the edge of my bed, and told me she had killed herself. Outside of novels, foreshadowing can just be a bitch.

So, let's raise our glasses to Lydia. Let's hope she can now find peace. In her honor, I will share some of my favorite memories of her.

  • The girl could sew. 8th grade, home economics, I am struggling with putting my shitty, purple apron together. Lydia is across the room, sewing a dress with pleats.

  • She knew how to accessorize. During her trip to California to visit with me, she bought about six pairs of new shoes. Obviously, the girl had her priorities in order.

  • She was smart as hell. I remember this even during grade school. She just knew things. Full of culture and random facts and handy to have around.

  • Lydia was goofy. Half the time she came across as somewhat loopy, but she was just a sharp girl that didn't always advertise.

In summary, she was pretty, nice, smart and complex. She was a good person to have in the world. It sucks that she no longer wanted to be in it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey rachel, So sorry to hear about your friend.And I am sorry that she felt things were so bad that she took her own life. It is so hard to lose those you love and care about. The thing about life is if we can hang on sooner or later there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your friend. I never know what to say, but I'll be thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
I am really sorry for your sadness and for your friend's pain and suicide. She was fortunate to have you as a friend, and perhaps your good memories of her can bring happiness to her child some day.Love,
Auntie Trish