Thursday

Stichin'

So, my sewing classes were supposed to start last night. I was anxious, to say the least. If I'm going to get on the next season of Project Runway, I should probably know how to thread a bobbin and say, turn on my sewing machine. So, I show up at the middle school that the class is supposed to be held in. E Hall, room 2. Now how hard could that be? Well, it is complicated by the fact that C Hall was next to H Hall. I'm no alphabet expert, but that seemed wrong to me. It also explains why people seem so concerned about the quality of education that the California public school system provides.

Finally, the really nice, really short janitor guy helped me out. We made jokes about the uh, order of the halls and found our way to E-2. Which was empty. So, that was excellent. The janitor, was still helpful. "Well, I know that E-1 has an ESL class, could that be it?" "No, I'm all good there." He laughed, he helped me find the number for the adult school people. So, I call and they tell me that the class was delayed a week and 'everyone' was called. "No, not everyone". Then I was informed that the supply list had changed and I should bring my sewing machine.

??

Now, I do have a sewing machine. That isn't the problem. The problem is, the fact that you need a machine for the class was not mentioned anywhere in the write up. While I am not a mensa certified genius, I am still smart enough to realize that's some crazy shit to forget to mention.

So, that was my yesterday. Except the part where it gets better. You know the old saying: When one door closes because the f-ers at the adult school don't even know the alphabet, another door opens. My friend Michele called and had an extra ticket to the Ani DiFranco, City Arts and Lectures interview.

Honestly, that made everything better. 500% better or so. Rough estimate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That made me laugh. I have issues around sewing classes. They remind me of the torture my grandmother put me through. My brothers were out playing and I had to stay in and try to sew with my Grandmother. To this day, I take everything to the dry cleans for alterations. Thank you very much.

Trisha

Anonymous said...

Sewing -- the word rips open a mixed bag of memories. Yes, Judy, I do have SOME recollection of past events.
Anyway, one that is particularly pleasant trumps the traumatic memories of attempting to pass Home Ec. (I AM that old and I am NOT possessed of "girly" talents such as the ability to sew. I staple.)
I trace my fondness for margaritas directly to the day that AUNTIE helped Judy and I sew aprons out of cocktail flags. I don't think Mom was terribly thrilled when we arrived home sporting shiney little aprons bearing pictures of giant martinis, but I loved it.
I tried to love martinis, but I love margaritas instead. Different story...
Rachel, enjoy being schooled in the womanly arts ;o)