Saturday

Time is Brain

My cousin had a horrific car crash the other week. It is maddening to sit around and wait to see how she will be when she pulls through. I don't do well with waiting, with the in between. I require direct communication. I like the facts. I like the action. I don't handle silence or ambiguity with any grace what-so-ever. So, these days, I drive to Modesto, and sit in a hospital NICU waiting room with my family. And sit. And wait.

It's amazing how much time and energy waiting can take up. Sitting in the small room, trying to get the air conditioning right, changing the tv channel without the remote, running out of small talk. I stare at the sign in the waiting room that tells you how to recognize the signs of a stroke. The sign is in English and in Spanish. The English version lacks the grace of the Spanish version. At one point it talks about how one sign that a person may have suffered a stroke is that they don't make sense when they speak. Then the sign ends with the following phrase in a 40 pt font: 'Time is Brain'. ?? I have decided that as soon as that phrase seems logical to me. It is time to call in the doctor and get me evaluated.
I don't go in and talk to Tiffanie. I don't know why. It feels too hectic for me. I sit in the room, I pull apples and carrots out of my bag hour after hour. I wait and wait and wait.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The saying is usually "time lost is brain lost", meaning that the longer it takes to get medical help the more of the stroke victim's brain is damaged. Not such a clear sign.
I've found that while waiting in hospitals it's really nice to have something to do with your hands. If you want to swing by for dinner some time this week, I can show you the basic knitting or crochet stitch. Seriously, it helps. Plus the nurses will all like you more and let you stay past visiting hours.

Anonymous said...

love you

Trisha