Friday

Aloha Maui

How was my trip to Maui? Abso-fucking-lutely wonderful. I am a California girl. I like California. I pay the taxes and barely whine about it. But Maui? Te amo, Maui.

A good vacation is always enhanced by top rate traveling companions. For Maui, here is the cast of characters:

Trish, looking sultry at the condo welcome meeting




Karen, primping in paradise




Me, making random tourists take my photo



Maui, like most things in life, is best described in lists of small, connected, observations:

1) In Wailea, if you want the local valets to respect you, you need to roll up in your rental car, cranking the new 50 cent cd from the crappy stereo.

2) When on an all day scuba diving trip, it is best to wear five times the amount of sun screen you think you need and then reapply every 2 seconds. Am I right Trish, or am I right?

3) If you drop off your friends for their all day scuba, skin burning trip at 7:00 AM, you can get to Hana and back by 2:00 PM. Regardless of what the concierge and tour books tell you. It is important to get the other cars on the road out of the way so you can drive as fast as you like.

4) The seven hour round trip to Hana also includes stopping twice to take pictures, once for a leisurely breakfast and a short hike in the sacred pool area above Hana.

5) Mai tais are best when you float the dark rum on top and decorate the glass with a fresh flower. Of course, it is hard for the mai tai to be bad.

6) Pineapple tastes better when you make Karen cut it the fancy catering way.

7) The appetizers at Wolfgang Puck, Maui, are better than the entrees.

8) You are never going to figure out how to work the surround sound in the condo, so please don't waste precious vacation time attempting it.

9) They do make hula outfits for chihuahuas; don't give up until you find one.

10) Before you go to the beach, paint your toe nails bright purple. It will help you feel more tropical.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking I WANT SUSHI the other day and then realized nothing will be as good as a Wolfgang Puck appetizer.

What I learned in Hawaii - though I was put back together again, I am not the bionic women.


Don't go on a 7 hour tour with Rachel driving.

Yes, 50 cent impresses doormen but so does Rachel. She impressed the doorman at the most expensive Hotel in Hawaii by telling him she made a 7 hour trip to Hana in 6 hours with time to sight see.

Oh best thing I learned in Hawaii, I am alergic to eggs. No more quiche for Trisha.

That said

- Hawaii smelled great and was so beautiful
- I have great friends in Rachel and Karen..

Trisha the very fair skinned friend