Saturday

Race, iPhones, and Google Earth

I know I look healthy, but I still get to spend a nice chunk of time at the doctor's office. Recently, I was sent to the lab for some blood work (I'm fine, no need to send the fruit baskets). The lab was behind. Way, way behind. I was in the lobby with an eight year old girl and her Grandparents. Waiting and waiting. Eventually, we started chatting. Actually, the girl approached me. Here:

"Is your phone white because you're white?"

I glanced at her Grandparents, they had horrified looks on their faces. I motioned that it was ok.

"No, it's just a coincidence."

"What does your phone do?"

And that is when I handed it over to her and we started exploring. When I opened up Google Earth things really heated up. I did a quick overview of how it works, showed her how to navigate and let her explore on her own. She was a quick study and was zipping through the continents in no time. Eventually, she brought me the phone back.

"Show me where President Obama lives"

Then I took over, giving her an overview of Washington D.C., the White House, and US History in general. I think it went well; she offered me a cheeto. 

It was probably the longest wait for a blood test that I've had to date.  And I've been blessed with a lot of lab time. Still, it was one of the best waits. Minus the cheeto stains on the iPhone.



1 comment:

Jodi said...

I totally thought your phone was white to match your skin. Now I am sad. That girl sounds awesome!